5 Tips for a Successful Preventive Maintenance Strategy
A carefully considered preventive maintenance plan can make a positive impact on several areas of your business. In this video, you’ll find 5 tips that can help you tailor a plan to avoid unplanned downtime caused by machine breakdowns.
With a well-planned preventive maintenance strategy, your operations will see several benefits, including more efficient output, improved machinery operation, higher quality in your finished products, longer machinery life, increased uptime and a vast reduction in unplanned downtime. Use these 5 tips to help plan a preventive maintenance strategy for your operations.
- Assess the current state of your operations. A big-picture view of your facility is a necessary first step in developing an effective preventive maintenance strategy. With this holistic assessment of current issues and areas to target for improvement, you can make informed strategic decisions.
- Review manufacturer specs. As you implement a new maintenance plan, it’s important to be certain that the right work is being done at the right time on equipment.
- Document your plan. Documentation provides a central resource for you, your employees and any maintenance partners to reference requirements, strategy, work done to date, work still to be done and more.
- Train and retrain. Preventive maintenance plans involve different processes than traditional scheduled maintenance. Be sure that your employees are well-versed in the equipment and practices that PM involves.
- Set goals and benchmarks. With your current facility assessment in hand, the next step is to define the goals that your PM plan should achieve. Benchmarks ensure that everyone is on the same page and serve as a reminder of the improvements that are expected as a result of your new strategy.
For more about the steps involved in preventive maintenance strategy planning, check out our Ultimate Preventive Maintenance Checklist. Need additional guidance when it comes to planning your preventive maintenance strategy? Learn more about how ATS can help you get started.